Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Running in the 2012 NYC Half Marathon for Team Fox- "Yay!" And, " Yeah, Baby!"

With Daughter Krystal after, "R Baby" Mother's Day Run, 2010
















It's official, official. I got my e-mail notification from Team Fox Thursday that I can run with the team in the 2012 NYC Half Marathon. "Team Fox is the grassroots fundraising arm of The Michael J.Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF)."

The race marks many personal milestones. It will be my first half marathon. It is was four years ago that I made a commitment to myself to live a healthier life, incorporating running into it and using it has a vehicle to raise funds and awareness for various causes.

Win-win for all!

2012, the year of the Dragon, the Earth will have made 50 full revolutions around the sun since my essence was brought it this corporal plane we all share.

In the Spring of 2007 my mother had DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation) devices implanted. The decision to have the surgery done was not an easy one. She had been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease several years earlier, after experiencing stiffness when walking, weakening muscular strength, coordination and tremors on her left side, etc. She went to the doctor thinking that perhaps she had experienced a stroke only to find that Parkinson's Disease was the culprit and it may have been living with her for some time.

The progression of the disease varies from individual to individual as do the causes (genetics, brain trauma, toxins in the environment, etc.).

In less than 10 years from her initial diagnosis she was told she had Advanced Parkinson's disease. The medications were not sufficient for her to have some semblance of a normal life with sufficient mobility to do the things most people take for granted, getting dressed, going to the bathroom, eating with ease. Her life was dictated by schedules of medications and their up and down cycles, when once upon a time she was in control. She had always lived a very active life, worked hard, was a member of professional engineering associations, enjoyed tangoing around NYC, family, friend time and more.

As with all medical procedures you have to weigh the risks as well as any potential benefits. There is never a 100% guarantee. Are you okay with 70%? 50%? 10%? One? And, there may be potential side effects; personality changes, mood swings, depression, sensory or other motor control problems. She could not imagine a life where she would be bed ridden a good part of the time and depending on another person twenty-four seven & three-sixty-five for her every need. She was well informed of the risks and decided the rewards outweighed them.

A year later, she still needed to take medications to control her Parkinson's, but less. Her tremors were controlled. She still had down cycles but they did not last as long. She would not have the same life she had before Parkinson's but a better one than she was having.

JP Morgan Chase hosts annual 5K Corporate Challenges around the world, uniting employees of a company, from runners to walkers as they focus on getting in shape for the event; improved eating habits, exercise and training. When our company sent an invitation to employees to participate in the challenge I thought of my mother, the members of the Parkinson's Group she goes to Brooklyn Parkinson's Group (BPG), and others who had restricted mobility due to to health conditions, diseases, aging. And, here I was with 2 perfectly healthy legs, not doing much at all.

Like many New Yorkers I spent my days rushing around the city, to and from work, tending to family members, outings and events with friends, making numerous bus and train connections, up and down several flights of subway stairs, dodging other pedestrians in the street like a quarter backer running for the last Super Bowl touchdown. I was too tired. Stressed. I didn't have time for working out. I was barely making it home in time to roll into bed, sleep, and roll out in time to deal with the activities of the following day. I would say that New York City was my gym and my rushing about was a workout in itself. But was it really? Or, was it just another stressor? Was I doing all I could do, or anything at all to be healthy and fit or just finding excuses? I was 45 years old . What kind of life was I setting myself up for having during the "Golden Years?" How would I feel if one day a Doctor told me I had Parkinson's or another disease that would prevent me from getting around or worse a shorter life sentence? My life was full of activities but was I living it to the fullest?

I decided to participate in the JP Morgan Chase Challenge and run 3.5 miles. I had close to 3 months to train. In the past I could not find time to exercise. Now I was making time for it. I got up an hour and a half earlier than usual with the goal of just running a mile to mile and a half before work every other day. If I missed a morning run I would make it up when I got home. No dinner until I finished. Our company didn't make it to the challenge.

I have been running off and on since then. I saw the hurdles of "life happens" in my way, a fractured ankle, runner's knee, tendonitis, fallen arches, exercised induced asthma and a host of others (family, etc.) as events to ride out and jump over when ready. Not walls of Kryptonite to the healthier lifestyle I wanted to continue to build on for the rest of my life.

I am not a world class, speedy, super athletic, elite runner- more power to them. I am an average, nine-to-fiver-Jaunita. When I run in NYRR races I am in the purple pack and run with a red flair- passion and thankfulness that I am able bodied to run and cross every finish. On March 18th, when I run through Central Park, past the neon lights of Broadway I will be thinking of blue- sky's the limit for advancements in Parkinson's disease research.

Please support me in my fundraising efforts by donating any amount that you are able to by visiting my Team Fox fundraising page http://www2.michaeljfox.org/goto/mosgoldenmarathon

To the gold of each day!



A note on DBS- DBS alleviated symptoms for my Mom, it did not cure her or get rid of all of them.The recovery after surgery was not easy. She has had to have her pace maker devices adjusted several times. She still needs to take medication and her ability to travel beyond her home area is limited unless she has someone with her. The disease is continuing its progression. There is no definitive one size-fits all treatment to the disease and by mentioning her undertaking I am not indicating or implying in anyway that it is the path for all with Parkinson's Disease to take.

Fortunately, we live in a time were we have unlimited access to information, especially via the web. There are many fine publications, discussion boards, and sites choc full of information at our fingertips. As the expression goes when you don't know, are curious or want to verify something these days, "just google it."

Below are some links for additional information on Parkinson's Disease, treatments, research and more.

As with all diseases not only is the person with the disease affected but family members as well. So friends, family, caregivers of Parkinson's patients, be sure you have a team to support you and stay informed of developments. Don't be shy or afraid to ask doctors questions. When in doubt, speak out!

For additional Info. go to:

Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research (MJFF)
National Parkinson's Foundation 
Parkinsons.org
Parkinson's Research Foundation

New York Times- Health Guide (Parkinson's Disease)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...