Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

2012 NYC ING Marathon Countdown 11 Days: There is a STAR at every Start

Last Friday the physical therapist said I could start working out using elliptical devices and bicycles. "You can still get your cardio workout without impact to your knees". So yesterday, I went to the gym and worked out on both for about 15 minutes each. I was a little envious of the guy on the treadmill next do me doing super star bad ass sprints (Fartleks). With the marathon less than 2 weeks away I wondered if just doing elliptical and cycling workouts would get me ready.

I repeated the "slow and steady" mantra over and over as the large pedals beneath collapsed and rose with the weight and counter weight of my foot presses. Staring at the digital monitor over the device prompting me to select Login to save my workout details, watch some TV or check out some tunes I notice these five letters in the center of the display.
S-T-A-R-T. How many times have my eyes glossed over it? How many start buttons have I pressed or passed to press in my life? Hundreds? Thousands? Hundred thousands?

S-T-A-R-T. Five simple letters that rule our life from infancy. He started to crawl today. She started kindergarten today. Did you start your homework? When does your vacation start? I need to start over. I'll start it for you. When are you going to start? I am at the start are you coming yet? He is always starting some new project. Shh the concert has started!

I love when announcers call out, "Gentleman start your engines," at the start of an auto race, and the sound of the gun pops at the start of a track event.

But, love more that there is a 4 letter word hidden in this 5-letter word. S-T-A-R!

As I got deeper into my elliptical groove focusing on the S-T-A-R in S-T-A-R-T the little green monster dissipated in the cool gym air, filled with everyone's life breaths and sweat. I appreciated that my neighbor was was doing his super STAR sprints. Way to go dude! And, how the woman next to me was on fire with her elliptical foot presses.

How often d'o we forget that as there are an infinite number of stars in the skies there are also an infinite number of stars here on earth. No two starts are alike. They shine in their own brilliant splendor. There is one in each and every one of us. We just have to look deeper.

As I pause to greet mine, my muse whispers,
My gym inspirations. It's not just the body that's getting a good workout!
I know I am not alone and there are many newbies to marathon running going through the change in mood from I think I can to I know I can throughout training. You can never have too many things in your motivational arsenal to keep you going.

"No matter what you do, with every new undertaking or race... Remember, there is a STAR at every start. That Star is You. Reach for it and let it shine until you reach the finish!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...