Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

2012 NYC ING Marathon Countdown 7 Days: 3.76 Charity Miles, Looking Back at My First Long Run

Today was recovery run day. Just a short run. Not more than 4 miles. No running longer than 40 minutes.
I decided to run a route I plotted on MapQuest when I started to get into running 5 years ago. Back then I just ran on my own. I didn't know about sneaker choices, running styles, training programs for beginners like the C25K (Coach to 5K), gear, nutrition, clubs, or the multitude of apps out there, like MapMyRun. All extremely helpful to help you get on and stay on your running track. I plotted points on MapQuest to figure out how long my treks would be. I started with just a mile and added a half mile every week or every other week. I remember how I struggled just to run a quarter mile. "If I can just get up to Taco Bell," I remember thinking, "then I will take a short walk break." I never stopped for a Taco. It was just the best stopping point. One block further than Carvel, which may have tempted me to stop in and get a strawberry coated vanilla cone and head back home.

When I got to a mile I was ecstatic. I continued my loop back home to complete a 2-mile trek. What a workout! My thighs hurt. My shins hurt. My feet hurt. All this pain, for what? To try to be a runner? Who was I kidding. Who thinks about getting into running after they push 40-something(s). The avoidance monster would smother the calls of the running/fitness muse and I would stop trekking for a week or more before I heeding to her call again.

As I trekked up the boulevard I was surprised how light and easily I was jogging. I could not but smile the entire way. My knee is still a little tender and I was not going fast, but compared to the me a few years ago, "Wow!" I was really having so much fun! I was enjoying the sights along the way. Fall leaves blanketing lawns, pumpkins on steps.
Fall leaves on a neighbor's lawn. I just wanted to jump in.
I love this quote by Rumi, "What you seek is seeking you." And, today it was very apropos. I never thought I would be in a marathon, I really just wanted to be able to run the route I plotted 5 years ago without a hitch, be able to do that a few days a week and I did it! 

I have been as consistent and committed to my fitness as I can be. If I can't run I jog. If I can't jog I walk. If I have to mix it up, I mix it up; fartleks, interval training

I made a promise to myself to do Charity Miles every day from October 2nd, until I cross the finish line at the marathon next Sunday, barring some extreme event or physical condition that would prevent me from running, jogging or walking. You know how we promise to do things, but when it is just to ourselves it is easier to slip than when we promise to do something for others, for once I did not slip. My commitment was inspired by my Mom, others who have Parkinson's and my support for the Micheal J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research but also for me. Because without yourself in the picture, when you run or walk or do other activities inspired by or for a charity or for someone you love, the picture is not complete.

Luck number 7- days to the ING!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...