Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

2012 NYC ING Marathon Countdown 13 Lucky Days: What's in a Number?

When you hear the word number(s) the first thing that comes to mind may be:

At times numbers can be Twilight-zonish
Images like this connoting confusion and complexity. Perhaps you are thinking of Pi=3.14159 which is an irrational number (numbers have been known to cause some to become irrational about them) and it is also a transcendental number (thinking of what you would do if you won the Mega Million, Power Ball, Scratch off, or other Lottery? Maybe you are thinking of going on a 365-day-permanent vacation, buying a new or first home, a giant engagement ring, hiring a maid, a butler, and personal assistant or taking the trip of a lifetime to outer space on Virgin Galactic- you have just been transcended to another place. What magic these numbers have!).

If you have been bitten by number mania (Is there a better expression for one who loves numbers than number maniac? I couldn't google one.) and mystery you may be thinking of the hit TV series spelled Numb3rs. Yes, Numb3rs and numbers everywhere can solve anything! It just takes a little time. And who doesn't like a hot or spicy number?
Hot & Spice & Everything Nice. That's what Numb3rs are made of!
Even if you are one who says, "I don't like numbers!" You must make your peace with them. Numbers are the roommates, family, friends and others that influence us the most, often without our full awareness and perhaps at times agreement.

What time is it? A: A number(s).

How old are you now? A: It's my birthday, ask me tomorrow I want to be happy today? (A number(s)).

What is your weight? What is your HDL & LDL? What did you get on the SAT's, GRE's? Answers: A number(s).

During my training leading up to the marathon, I spoke with others training about pace, distance, number of repeats, reps, time for recovery, percentage increase in workouts week over week, target and maximum heart rate.

While talking to other barefoot, minimalist runners I learned about drop. My New Balance Minimus have a zero drop which means my heel is at the same plane as the front of my foot unlike other running shoes that have a raised heel (2:1 or some other ratio). And, music which is a series of notes in number, and a most welcome accompaniment on long runs.

Numbers are sometimes considered lucky. Lucky number 7. Or, unlucky as in 13. But, today I feel that 13 is my lucky number. My knee is finally feeling better. It does not lock or hurt when I turn to walk left. In 13 days I will trek 26.2 miles or 42.16481 kilometers, in a fox custom (you know you want to see that!) to continue my NYC Half Marathon efforts to raise funds and awareness for TEAM FOX. I am about 25% of my goal. I know with the support of my family, friends (the numbers in my life that I heart- Yes I heart you #'s), I will get to 101%.

To lend your support please click on this link  Mo's Marathon Fundraising for Team Fox 

My deepest thanks to all who have already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...