Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Stepping UP! The Charity Miles 26 Day Challenge

About a month ago while waiting with a J.K.O. Running teammate for others to arrive for our weekly evening run, a gentleman asked if we were doing "Charity Miles." There are many groups of charities that meet to run in Central Park regularly, most notably Team in Training and Achilles International. I thought to myself "Charity Miles" must be another one. "No we are not doing Charity Miles," I replied, "What is it?" Gene, the founder of Charity Miles who was in the park to run with others that day, proceeded to tell us about this app he created for Android and I-Phones which allows people to raise money for a charity while they walk, run or bike.

Can you imagine that? Raising money for a charity while you are just enjoying a walk in the park with your dogs? Earn 25-cents/mile if you walk or run or 10-cents/mile if you bike.

The Charity Miles app took moments to install and I have been using it ever since. I love that it keeps a history of my workouts. By tapping on the bar graph icon on the bottom left of the start menu, you can view details of the last 20 you completed; distance, time, whether you selected to walk, run or cycle, the charity and impact.
The impact for each charity will be different. For example, for the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research or Autism Speaks, the impact will be funding for minutes of research, for Habitat for Humanity a number of pieces of lumber and for the ASPCA a number of puppy and kitten vaccinations.

If you turn your phone horizontally you will see a bar graph showing the miles you trekked during the last 7 days. You can scroll the history to your first Charity Miles workout by tapping on the right arrow.

The app tracks the distance via the GPS on your cell. You will get an email confirmation with details of your Charity Miles impact along with an attachment of a map showing where you trekked. An added bonus if you do not already have a tool to map your runs.

To use the Charity Miles app you do need to have a Facebook account and to have your workout sponsored to support the charity you selected share a post on your feed. For those who do not have or want to have a Facebook account this is the only drawback of the app. There is an option to tweet as well, but it is not necessary to have your workout sponsored.

The Charity Miles Challenge- Just 1 Mile a day for 26 Days during the month of October - Welcome Fall!

I have been using the Charity Miles app since I installed if for my runs. With the NYC ING Marathon a few weeks away I have been thinking of ways to step up my workouts. Charity Miles sent an email to subscribers on Monday regarding its marathon challenge for the month of October. Trek a minimum of one mile a day for 26 days during the month of October and win a Charity Miles tee shirt.

Since my mother has Parkinson's Disease I decided that I would step up the challenge by logging in Charity Miles every day until, I cross the ING Marathon finish for the Micheal J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. I decided that on the days I do not log in a run, I will log in a walk. For those of you looking for a way to stay fit but cannot find time, consider this, depending on the speed of your walk, whether you are carrying anything etc. you can cover one mile in 25 minutes or less. If you don't have time in the morning, do it later in the day. Set a side some time during a lunch break. Walk to run errands if you can instead of going in your car whenever you can. Get families, friends, co-workers, into the action. The app is FREE and remember #EveryMileMatters.

Singing in the rain or shine, tired or not, I am enjoying skipping the bus and walking home from the train. For Mom :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...