Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

2012 NYC ING Marathon Countdown 21 Days: Back to the Tried, Tested and True in Running Shoes

It's just 21 days to the Marathon. Where did the time go? I feel like it was just yesterday when I announced to family and friends "I'm in!" I guess the training days went by so quickly, because I was really having fun!
My longest run to date was 18.76M 14 days ago. I pushed myself a bit but scanning my notes of what I had been doing up that point in my training, what I eat the day before a long run, amount of rest, workouts during the week, pace etc. I found that the the one variable that was different, that may have lead to my hurting my knee was as simple as not wearing the same running shoes I had been wearing all along. I did not know then what I know now about not changing into new running shoes with less than 5 weeks before a marathon. I will add this DO NOT change the type of running shoe you are used to running to something very different. I have been transitioning from sneakers with a lot of support to minimalist ones that have a more barefoot feel for over a year and a half and did all my marathon training in either my Puma H-Street for short runs up to 6M or New Balance Minimus for anything longer.
I am known to run in just my stocking feet for up to 5 miles and will do the occasional full barefoot run. I got into barefoot running by chance. I forgot my sneakers on a business trip so I ran in just my socks on the treadmill at the hotel gym and enjoyed it. I was on the mend from an ankle fracture. All of my PT was in bare feet. Something about the barefoot run just felt more comfortable for me. As time progressed, the shin splints, fallen arches and other issues I had improved. I did my research on barefoot running before looking for and joining a barefoot running group (Barefoot Runners NYC). I got excellent tips on running form from the group's organizers and more experienced members. So, what made me want to change to a running shoe that had a higher wedge and additional support (a pair of Puma's I have that are similar to the Puma 550)? Listening to others about the logic of wearing running shoes with more support and believing that as a newbie to marathon running this would be the best. But, was not the best at this stage in the game.
I love my daughter's catch phrase, "You do you!" Short for "Be Yourself!" "Don't do things just because others are doing them," etcetera, etcetera. Somethings may work for me others may work for you. So, "You do you. Man" "You do you!" Thanks, Krystal for you regular reminders!
http://img.timeinc.net/time/europe/magazine/2008/0818/bikila_0818.jpg
Running in his barefeet because there were no more Adidas running shoes in his size, Abebe Bikila gets the gold in the 1960 Olympic Marathon.
A side can be taken pro or con barefoot running, pro or con wearing running shoes of one type, brand or another. Just as you listen to your body to stop when you feel you have run enough or push when you feel you can go an extra mile, choose the footwear that feels just right for you. This will help reduce your, risk of injury in addition to good training and conditioning.

This weekend  those training for the ING Marathon will be doing their last long run before tapering down until race day. Generally 20 to 22 miles depending on if it is their first time running a marathon or not. It is my first so I should be doing 20 miles.Yesterday, my daughter and I trekked 3.3 miles of which we jogged .75 miles while our other J.K.O. teammates ran. It was one very fine Fall day. Today should be just as great.

I want to get to the start of the marathon healthy and ready to rock, so I am not pushing it! In a few hours I will head out in my old faithfuls, my NB Minimus and trek the mode and distance that is just right for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...